Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Finished Project: Sage Chambray Bettine Dress

Morning all!


I'm finally getting a chance to blog about this Bettine Dress I made a couple of weeks ago. When I saw this Tilly and the Buttons pattern I thought it would be perfect for a couple of spring / summer dresses, even though it's not my usual go-to dress style. I normally like fitted bodices and full skirts as I think they flatter my figure better but this dress looked like it would be lovely and comfortable to wear so I decided to make it anyway.

I used a sage green chambray type fabric from croft mill as I really liked the colour. I also bought a pale blue chambray at the same time which I'm thinking I might use for a TATB Megan dress from Love at First Stitch. 


I added 2" to the skirt as I have quite long legs and am not the biggest fan of showing off too much of them! This dress is about as short as I would go with or without tights being more of a knee length skirt kind of gal! 

Other than that I didn't make any other moderations to the dress pattern. I decided to go with the full 'bells and whistles' version with pockets and a cuff and a button tab on the sleeves. I also used a grey cotton polkadot for the facings rather than the sage green fabric for some added interest (not that anyone else will see the facings but hey-ho). 



As usual, Tilly's instructions were easy to follow - I really like the photos she includes in her instruction books - they make everything so clear to understand. Not that this was a particularly difficult make as it's aimed at beginner dress makers but there are some really lovely details in this dress that just finishes it off nicely. 

Having made the dress, I decided I should have added length to the bodice as well as there isn't as much drape in it as I think there should be. I've added 2" onto the pattern pieces now so will try it out with my next version. 


Other than that though, this is lovely and comfortable to wear, as I thought it would be. It works just as well with tights and a cardie as it does with bear legs so will definitely carry me through spring and into summer. I've got some lovely red flowered rayon I've had in my stash for ages to use for another version, so it will be interesting to see how the lengthened bodice and different fabric change the drape of the dress on me.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I love this fabric Helen and you're right, the dress looks really cool and comfy for the summer!

    ReplyDelete