Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Sewing hand-me-downs

I thought I'd share two of the lovely sewing 'hand-me-downs' I've been lucky enough to inherit.

Hubby's grandma was a seamstress at what is now John Lewis in Sheffield and she was, by all accounts, a pretty fantastic one at that! Unfortunately I was never lucky enough to meet her as she died a good 6 years or so before hubby and I met. Sadly, his grandfather died just as we started seeing each other and amazingly, S's mum asked if I'd want her mother's old sewing box as neither she nor S's aunt had any use for it... Well, what can I say - there was no way I was going to refuse something as lovely as this...


It came complete with hundreds of spools of thread, ribbon, embroidery threads etc - history in a box! Since then it's become my storage place too.

Then, about 3 months ago, S's mum was having a clear out of their attic when she came across her mum's old singer sewing machine.... She asked if I wanted that as well (stupid question really). It's so beautiful. Shame there's no table to go with it but I'm planning on looking out for one at the flea markets etc when I go to them.



Then last week, S's mum gave me a bag full of embroidery threads / patterns that she'd found in another clear out (Lets just say I am never going to need to go shopping for embroidery threads every again!

I love the fact that I've been able to give a loving home to something that belonged to S's grandma - I just wish I'd had the chance to meet her!

4 comments:

  1. Wow what lovely gifts! The sewing machine is so beautiful, its wonderful how much decoration those old machines had on them it certainly needs to be on show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - unfortunately there's just no space available in our house to display it at the moment so it will have to remain under cover for the time being! They are so beautiful though.

      Delete
  2. That machine is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it just! Can't believe my luck really! :)

      Delete