Sunday, 1 June 2014

Finished Project: Elizalex with pencil skirt

Hello all! Happy sunny (finally) Sunday.
Another finished project for you today. I finished this over Easter but only just got round to taking photos.


This is the long planned Elizalex dress with my Geisha fabric that I bought with KraftyKat over a year ago and the Home Sewing event at the NEC. Except that it's not a full Elizalex pattern because I'm a complete numpty and managed to cut the proper skirt pieces out upside down on my fabric so I had to turn them into a basic pencil skirt instead.


I bought this pattern over a year ago as well and traced and cut out the bodice pieces just after getting it, to test for fit. Then I went to cut out the skirt pieces and had managed to loose them (I told you I was a numpty) so I had to then order a new pattern so I could get the skirt pieces! Idiot! And then life got in the way and I only managed to cut the actual fabric pieces out this year. So this has been a rather long journey to completion it has to be said!


Anyhoo, onto the pattern. I can see why Roisin and others completely rave about this pattern. I love it and already have plans to create another using the actual skirt pieces this time (the tight way up obviously)! The instructions are so simple and I love the bodice lining technique - everything looks so neat like that!

I used an invisible zipper for the first time in ages which went in nice and smoothly and hand stitched the hem.

I used the ever faithful Gertie Pencil Skirt pattern pieces for the skirt part of the dress and actually, the pattern hack worked absolutely fine!


I love the princess seam bodice too and I think I might use that with lots of other skirt pieces as well. It just looks so nice on. It's definitely a pattern worth buying if you haven't already.

7 comments:

  1. I like the pencil skirt with that bodice, it works so well, the whole thing looks very sexy and 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes the bodice seems to work so well with lits of different skirt types - so many variations to try!

      Delete
  2. Helen this is perfect, love the fabric and the style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love princess seams, they always look great! I like the pencil skirt, this style really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh my goodness look at that fabric! Great job on the dress. Very foxy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fabric choice - looks awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Yes I love this fabric. It makes a very rockabilly style dress! :D

    ReplyDelete