So called, not because it looks like a tent, but because that's where I got the hubby to take photos and now he always refers to it as the tent dress. I made this dress for a friends wedding in Pembrokeshire - hence the tent, as we decided to have an extended camping weekend there after the wedding was done with.
This dress is made from McCalls 3179 - a 1950s pattern that I've had in my stash for a while. I made it out of some mint coloured broderie-anglais I bought on our mini-moon to Edinburgh back in April and fully lined it with white cotton lining.
I didn't end up making any size modifications to this dress in the end. I made a muslin fully expecting it to be a little on the tight side, but it fit more or less perfectly - the bust area was a little roomy if anything.
I knew I'd have to line the dress since it was see-through in parts and decided to go with some white cotton I had in my stash - it's the same cotton I used to make the collar. I really like the combination of the mint and the white - very summery!
I reduced the roominess at the bust by simply bringing the side seams in slightly towards the top by the arm holes and this got rid of the excess without any difficulty.
I didn't shorten the dress at all as I wanted a realistic 1950s length for the dress and was too lazy to hand sew the skirt given how much hem there was going to be, so I was lazy and machine stitched it. Because of the fabric, you can't really see the hem line anyway.
The pattern has a side zip - I really don't like side zips - they're so fiddly to put in, but this one ended up looking OK considering.
All in all a nice make and really quick despite basically making two dresses (the main dress and the lining) - I sewed the whole thing up in less than a day!