I've finished my Bombshell dress...finally!!! I've had this on the go since about June/July last year and finally got round to finishing off the lining and hem. I bought the Craftsy Bombshell Course to follow along with, which was an absolute genius move on my part because Gertie's instructions are fantastic!
Back in the summer, I made a bombshell bustier as a bit of a practise run for this dress, never having made anything with steel boning in before. It went really well, mainly thanks to all Gertie's amazing instructions. I'm not sure it would have gone half as smoothly without them. Anyway, things were going really well, the bustier had worked out great so I got started on the dress with a vengeance..... and then my PGCE course started!
Although I've made a couple of other things since the course started, none of them needed quite the attention to detail as the bombshell dress, so they were easy enough to fit in amongst studying and general stressing out over how much work I had to do. I just couldn't bring myself to get on with all the fiddly stuff involved in finishing this dress off until just after Christmas. I've had a relative lull for the first few weeks of term (which, it's safe to say, has now officially come to an end), so I managed to get this dress finished, along with a couple of other things.
So anyway, enough blabbering on. Lets gen down to business... I cut a size 8 in this dress, which fit pretty much perfectly straight off. I added just a smigde of extra length to the bodice to get it to properly hit my waistline (no more than about 1/2" to 2/3" probably) and I took the side seams on the skirt out about 1/2" across the lower hip area because I just could not walk properly in it. It feels much more comfortable now! I also added about 4" to the length so that it nicely hit on or just below the knee on me.
I used a bottle green cotton for the dress, which is fine, but possibly a little too drapey. I think I'd use a slightly thicker cotton next time round to help with the overall shape. I also used a bottle green cotton lining for the inside and a bright green grossgrain ribbon for the zipper guard. I technically still need to add a waist stay, I just haven't got round to it yet.
I catchstitched the hem of the dress and also folded under and stitched all the seam edges to make it look nice and neat.
I put clear buttons inside the dress at the front to attach the halter neck strap to, and might add a couple of buttons at the back too, so I can make some other straps to go with the dress.
All in all, I'm quite proud of this make. I've learnt lots of new skills making this, including:
- Steel boning;
- lapped zippers;
- inserting a zipper guard; and
- Lots of different hand sewing stitches.
I'll definitely use this pattern again, once I have more time at least! I'd like to make a version with a full circle skirt as I think that would look great too.