Thursday, 3 January 2013

Finished Project: Gertie's Bow Tie Blouse


Finally I've got round to blogging about this make! I finished this back in October, technically as a wearable muslin, but the fit was absolutely fine so I decided to finish it off properly. This is the bow tie blouse from Gertie's sewing book. I decided to make the peter pan collar variation instead though.

I wore this top (sans collar) to the Birmingham Blogger Meetup arranged by Marie and Kat at the start of November as a bit of a road test for how it fitted. Like I said, it was originally made as a wearable muslin so I could check for fir but also so I could have a go at making bound buttonholes since I'd never made them before. The fabric is left over from the Burda Linda skirt I made back in the summer.


I cut a size 6 at the bust and graded out to a size 8 at the waist, which seemed to work just fine fit wise. However, I found the neckline was too tight so I widened the neckline slightly to make it more comfortable. As for the bound buttonholes, well they weren't nearly as difficult as I'd imagined them to be - mainly thanks to Gertie's fantastic instructions! It has to be said though that cotton isn't the most forgiving of fabrics when making bound buttonholes as it shows up any creases and rucks in the fabric round the buttonholes.


But not to worry, I'm still pretty proud of my first attempts! I finished the button facings off with yellow bias binding to match the yellow buttons I'd chosen to use.


I quite like the pop of colour the buttons add to the top. I finished the hem off with lace seam binding.


Instead of  making the bow tie version of the blouse, I decided to go with a Peter Pan collar instead. I used a lace collar rather than drafting a collar from the same or contrasting fabric.


Next time I think I'd add an inch or two to the length as it would tuck in easier to skirts/trousers.


I definitely plan on making the bow tie version of this blouse, probably in a double knit a la Gertie's version in the book as I think it'll be slightly more forgiving and flexible around the collar area. Al in all a pretty simple make (even with the bound buttonholes) which I have worn loads since I made it.


8 comments:

  1. Loooooove the yellow buttons - its a great pop of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys. It's a good basic top - I really want to make the bow tie version now though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow is a stroke of genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks gorgeous and I love the unexpected pop of yellow too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something quite satisfying about knowing you have an unexpected twist on a make! Especially when most of the time people won't see it. lol

    ReplyDelete