Saturday, 11 August 2012

Finished Project: Bombshell Bustier and a Circle Skirt


I've finished the bustier from Gertie's bombshell dress course! I decided to make just a bustier top as a practise run for the main bombshell dress which I'm in the process of making as well. I figured a bustier top would be perfect to take on holiday with me in September, whilst allowing me to practise all the things I've never done before like inserting boning and hand stitching a lining etc. I've still got to add a waist stay to this top, and make a variety of straps for it, so I guess technically it's not completely finished yet but I just couldn't wait to share it with you all!



All in all I've found this make surprisingly easy - there's lots of detailed hand sewing etc but the whole sewing process for this top seems to have gone really smoothly. Mainly I think this is thanks to Gertie's amazing teaching instructions - she is just an absolute wizard at explaining things clearly! I can't wait to really get going on the main bombshell dress now.



One slightly annoying thing though is that the red carbon paper I used to trace the pattern pieces can be seen through the lining, and the red thread I used for the basting has also left a slightly pink trace in places. Hopefully this will all wear off eventually though.

I used grosgrain ribbon to act as a zipper guard - it works so well, and looks really lovely I think and I've done my first lapped zipper! I looks great.



Because this top finishes at the waist, you need wear high waisted skirts / trousers with it so you can't see the bottom edge of the bustier. So I figured whilst I was in the zone sewing wise, I'd whip up a 3/4 circe skirt to go with it as well, because, you know, why not? A circle skirt is actually listed as an alternative to the sarong skirt of the bombshell dress in the online course materials. I had the red cotton in my stash and figured it would go brilliantly with the blue polka dots on the bustier top.  The top also goes brilliantly with my smooth sailing shorts, which I'm also planning on taking on holiday with me so I I'm well on my way to having a nice capsule wardrobe to take away with me!

The skirt isn't quite finished either. It still needs a hem, but I've decided to finish this off with some horsehair braid, so until this arrives I can't actually finish the skirt off properly. I finished the waistband off with a couple of hook and eye closures and a cute anchor button I had in my stash. I really love how it's turned out.



This 3/4 style circle skirt is much more flattering on me than a full circle skirt as it doesn't emphasise my hips quite as much. I definitely think I'll make another version of this skirt - maybe in a wool fabric for the winter or something.

I was planning on getting started on my Cambie dress today, but I realised when I came to cut out the fabric, that I hadn't actually pre-washed it, so I shoved it in the machine to wash and will get started on the dress tomorrow instead.

What's everyone else been up to this weekend?

10 comments:

  1. It looks so so good! Fits you like a glove. I've been following Gertie for a while, but haven't attempted any of her lessons yet...maybe I'll have to. The skirt is also great, can't believe you "just whipped it up" :)

    I didn't get any sewing done this weekend...but that's what I have tonight for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! You should totally follow one of her classes - that woman knows how to teach! ;D I can't wait for her book to come out if I'm honest.

      Enjoy your sewing this evening!

      Delete
  2. Love this! It looks great on you and fits so well! That top would be fun to turn into a swimsuit pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I do really love it. Plus, I never thought about a swimsuit pattern but it could definitely work (without the steel boning inside).

      Delete
  3. I've signed up for Gertie's class on Craftsy but I haven't found the time yet to make the dress. I love the fabric you've chosen and I like the polka dot fabric with the red skirt fabric. Really a nice retro flair to them together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still got to properly start work on the actual 'for real' dress, like you, it's just finding the time. It's such a great course though so well worth it.

      Delete
  4. What a FABULOUS outfit! That bustier is one of the best versions I've seen of that pattern. Congratulations! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! Polkadots / red / anchor buttones - just such a great combo! ;D

      Delete
  5. very good work...look great on you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello :D I'm making a dress with this kind of bodice, with boning, and all. I usually make historical dress, with corsets, etc, but in this case, th eboning is stopping rhight at the waist, and it's not comfortable at all if I try to sit (I've tried with my mock upe.. It was really annoying). Don't you have this problem? Maybe the bodice is too tiny :S With my habit of corsets I try to squeeze too much I guess. By the way your dress is adorable! I love the colors too! :)

    ReplyDelete