Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Completed Projects: Pendrell Tops

Those of you who've  seen my blog posts for MMM '12 and the Flicker group uploads will already have seen both of these Pendrell tops but I figured I should post a blog entry about them anyway. I made these back in April ready for MMM '12 to begin because other than my two Sorbettos, I didn't have any other me made tops to wear.


This was my first attempt working with a Sewaholic Pattern and I have to say, it was super easy. Tasia definitely knows how to write a set of instructions clearly! I found this top extremely straightforward to put together and even managed my first attempt at french seams on both tops too.

The first one was made form the same cotton lawn as my first dress. I cut a straight size 10 for this top and although it fitted well enough, I felt that the princess seams were a little too wide and didn't sit over the bust where they should. I didn't quite have enough material to make the proper length of the top so I just made this version shorter than it should have been, but it's still long enough to tuck into trousers / skirts.



Because of the fit at the bust, for the second version (made in a pink flowered cotton lawn) I sewed 6/8" side seams and princess seams which was enough to bring them properly over the bust and make the top a little more fitted. I also decided to make a self-drafted v-neck for this top - I was going to follow Caseys scalloped collar tutorial as well, but I never quite got round to it! I cut the full length for this version , which is really long! Does anyone else who's made this top think it doesn't need to be quite as long as it is? I think i'll definitely shorten any future versions by a couple of inches as my first version was more than long enough for me.







Both of these tops have already been worn loads since I made them so I definitely think there will be a few more in the future - probably one with a scalloped collar too since I didn't get round to it this time. I've also got the Sewaholic Renfrew top and the Cambie dress is currently winging it's way to me in the post. If the Pendrell pattern is anything to go by both the Renfrew and the Cambie should be a complete dream to sew up too! Can't wait.

MMM '12 is making me realise that I still don't really have enough sell stitched tops so this is something I need to work on I think. I've got some really pretty 1950's / 1960's top patterns in my stash so I think one of those will be made shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment