Friday, 20 April 2012

Colette Patterns Sewing Handbook: Meringue Skirts

Like a lot of other sewists, I was lucky enough to receive the Colette Sewing Handbook as a present at Christmas. So far, the Meringue is the only patterns I've made from the book as I had other patterns on the waiting list already, but so far, it's a great start to the book - I read it from cover to cover before actually starting to make the skirt.
So far with makes using Colette patterns, I haven't actually had to make any changes to the fitting so I decided to jump straight in and make a wearable muslin using some royal blue gabardine, rather than my usual muslins using old bed sheets that could never be worn out in public.

When I came to cut out the pieces for the wearable muslin, I realised I didn't have enough interfacing for the skirt hem so I thought I'd just leave it out and see what happened. In all honesty, I don't think it made any difference to the skirt hem at all (except for making it a bit more difficult to get good curves when I turned out the scallops, but I got there eventually). Because there was no interfacing in the hem, I decided to top stitch close to the edge of the scallops to stop them curling under which seemed to work fine.

I lined the skirt with some bright turquoise lining fabric since it wasn't the best quality gabardine and I thought it would be a bit prone to static when worn with tights. I also used some fabric from one of the other half's old shirts for the waist facing, bound the rough edge of the hem facing in bias binding and then catch-stitched the hem to the skirt. I catch-stitched a hem for the first time on my Ceylon dress but I think I did a better job on the skirt - practice makes perfect obviously! I love the fact that catch-stitching really doesn't show up at all on the front of the fabric - it looks so much neater.



The fit was fine so I decided to use the remainder of the red gabardine from my Ceylon dress to make another version. I didn't line this version though as it generally doesn't seem to go static with tights and I used some left over fabric from my first dress for the waist facing as I didn't quite have enough gabardine for this. Since the first version didn't seem to lack for anything by not having interfacing in the hem, I didn't bother for this version either. I actually really like the fact that there is no stiffness to the hem as a result. Again, I bound the rough edge of the hem facing with bias binding and then catch-stitched the hem to the skirt.



And the final version.... et voilĂ !


And this is what happens when you hand over control of a camera to my other half for too long...

5 comments:

  1. I really like both of your versions of the meringue , and it looks like you've got a great fit with them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kestrel! I've been really lucky so far with the Colette clothes patterns. Other than adding extra length to things I haven't had to make any adjustments generally. The Pastille dress is next on the list of makes so I'll see if that lucky run continues!

      Delete
  2. i like both of your skirts. i will have to try this pattern soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks! You really should. It's so simple to make and is really economical on fabric so it's definitely a great make! They look good on too.

      Delete
  3. I like it so..colors its so nice

    ReplyDelete