Thursday, 12 April 2012

The Ceylon Dress

Despite having had to go to numerous weddings over the last 2 years, I'd never plucked up the courage to sew a dress to wear because I wasn't sure my skills were up to producing something good enough - until now that is.

I saw the Ceylon dress on the Colette Patterns website when I first started reading blogs and totally fell in love with the vintage vibe of the dress. I actually bought the pattern back in the summer of last year but only got round to making a version of my own at the start of the year for a family wedding.

Given that the wedding was in March I thought overly summery colours possibly weren't the best choice so decided to go for a claret coloured poly wool gabardine from Croft Mill. which was lovely and soft to the touch and had a great drape.
As usual I made a muslin of the dress, cutting a size 6 and didn't have to make any adjustments to the fit. As an added bonus, the instructions were so easy and straightforward to follow. This dress is probably the most complicated pattern I've actually done to date, what with all the pattern pieces to put together but with the instructions, everything went just fine. So this is the finished version:

Annoyingly, the only photo of me wearing it at the actual wedding is of me sitting down (my personal photographer was too busy taking photos of the happy couple), so you can only see the top half. Excuse the shiny forehead, it was hot in there!

I think a woollen version like Lauren's  would be perfect for a winter work dress.

3 comments:

  1. I love your Ceylon dress. This pattern has been on my list to try, I think seeing your version has convinced me!

    Great colour on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie! It's probably the most complicated pattern I've done to date, just because of the sheer number of pieces, but it was definitely worth it, it's so lovely to wear! You should definitely give it a go. I'm planning on doing another one eventually - I just have loads of other things I want to make first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so lovely on you...colour its great

    ReplyDelete