So I've finally got round to writing about my second and third attempt at the Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers. Both of these have been made in 100% cotton so there was no stretch to worry about, unlike my first pair. However, this also means they're not quite as comfy to wear as the other pair for that reason.
Anyway, I didn't change anything size wise as I'd made a muslin using non-stretch calico so it was just a case of sewing them up. As with all trousers, the sewing up part is super simple (it's just the fitting that can be a pain in the behind). I sewed them both up in the same weekend because they're so quick.
However, I'm still not 100% happy with the fit, so I bought the Sew Over It Ultimate guide to sewing and fitting trousers (partly to get the fit right, but also because I really like the Carrie trouser pattern). The plan is to start from scratch with the pattern again and go through all the fitting help on the course to see if I can get a better fit. Ultimately (ha, see what I did there), I'd like to make a higher waisted version using Lisa's pattern hack, but I don't want to do that till I'm totally happy with the fit of the basic pattern.
Version 2 was made from some ditsy cotton I had in my stash. I bought it for a summer dress years ago, but never got round to making it. I'm not totally convinced the colour / pattern works on these trousers as the fabric sort of makes me think pyjamas for some reason. Hey-ho, I've still worn them quite a lot this summer as they're nice and cool.
Version 3 was made from some navy floral fabric from Hobbycraft - and what a palava that was! I went in with the little one in the buggy, which is awkward since the fabric is upstairs. Anyway, I found the fabric and a lovely shop assistant said she'd cut off what I wanted whilst I made my way down in the lift again to save me waiting. Perfect I thought. I got straight home and - without really checking the fabric, which is totally my fault - I shoved it straight in the wash as I wanted to make the trousers ASAP. It wasn't until I hung it up to dry that I realised there was a massive, almost string like, sewing line through the middle of the fabric length where they'd sewn two bolts of fabric together! It was completely useless. Why the shop assistant thought that selling 2.5m of fabric, which was basically in two lengths, and not thinking to check if that was okay, was a good idea, is totally beyond me. Fortunately though, when I took it back, another lovely shop assistant totally understood and replaced the fabric without question - she even checked it was one continuous piece for me just to be sure! So it worked out okay in the end.
I much prefer the colour of these trousers. I think because they are darker, they look less like pyjamas.
So, all in all, two wearable summer trousers that I'm relatively happy with. Anyway, I've printed off the Carrie and Ultimate trousers for the course so I just need to tape them together and get going on improving the fit even more. So watch this space!